The Founding Generation of Mayo Clinic — Part 3 #throwbackthursdays
John Kahler was a Rochester business leader and pioneer of the hotel industry that served Mayo Clinic patients. In 1907, he began developing a network of hotels, hospitals and other amenities in downtown Rochester, along with a nursing school. After World War II, the Kahler Corp. ceased its hospital activities and focused on the hospitality industry. Rochester Methodist Hospital opened in 1954 to provide hospital care in downtown Rochester.
Arthur Sanford, M.D., joined Mayo Clinic in 1911 and became director of clinical laboratories. This photo with his staff, circa 1920, is indicative of the vital role that allied health professionals have played in advancing the mission of Mayo Clinic. Dr. Sanford's technician colleagues, from left: Hazel Ungemack, Lola Callahan, Madge Sinclair and Elizabeth Cronin.
Joseph Fritsch was the genial doorman and goodwill ambassador of Mayo Clinic. From 1929 to 1954, he was stationed at the great bronze doors of the Plummer Building, welcoming patients. Known to all as "Joe Clinic," he exemplified that Mayo Clinic tradition of courtesy, helpfulness and respect.