A Look Back at Early Mayo Construction #ThrowbackThursday
While Mayo Clinic buildings now dominate Rochester’s skyline and irresistibly attracts an upward glance, not many remember when earlier Mayo building construction made an equally dramatic change in the local landscape.
The red brick building was erected on the site of William Worrall Mayo’s first Rochester home. Second Avenue was then Franklin Street. The photo above shows the lower floors under construction, and, in the background, two churches and the old Clinic Library.
During the next decade, both churches and library were razed. In 1926, as the photo above shows, a much more dramatic spectacle was provided for building watchers. This building became the Plummer building in 1967.