First Saint Marys Hospital Expansion Dedicated in 1894 #ThrowbackThursday
Saint Marys Hospital opened in 1889 and, almost from the start, patient demand drove ongoing expansion. The first addition, pictured here, was dedicated in 1894. The photograph is significant for several reasons. It shows the close collaboration of the Doctors Mayo—William Worrall Mayo, M.D., and his sons, William J. Mayo, M.D., and Charles Mayo, M.D.—with the Sisters of St. Francis, whom Dr. W.W. Mayo publicly credited with the vision and tenacity to establish the hospital.
Another guest of honor was Horace Witherstine, M.D., a prominent local physician. At various points in his career, Dr. Witherstine served as mayor of Rochester, school board member, and state senator in addition to his medical duties, providing an early example of how the Mayos and the Franciscan Sisters collaborated with community providers and supported a wide range of civic engagements.