Oct. 1957: Children’s Health Service Report #ThrowbackThursday
In October 1957, the Mayo Clinic Section of Pediatrics added a new phase to its program of child care—the Children’s Health Service (CHS) in the Plummer Building. A check of the unit’s records for the first full year of operation, 1958, brings up some interesting facts:
- Patients seen at CHS: 8,977.
- Patients seen on home visits: 1,825.
- Patients seen at the Well Child Clinic: 6,618.
The Children’s Health Service was designed for infant-to-fifteen-year-old children of Rochester and nearby areas who had the usual illnesses and related medical problems of childhood. This included such things as pre-camp, pre-school, and similar examinations.
The Children’s Health Service was in line with a national trend in pediatrics during that time—that of encouraging parents to bring their children to the doctor, rather than the doctor going to each child. In some situations, the child was still visited at the home or hospitalized.