In 1981, Mayo Clinic's huge collection of original medical art, a treasure of information but to this point largely a hidden treasure, was opened up to the medical world by a computer. At this time in history, Mayo’s collection was perhaps the most extensive in the world, containing more than 60,000 anatomical, surgical, and pathological drawings done by medical artists here since 1903. The drawings were used in medicine to visually interpret or communicate complex procedures and difficult to explain phenomena.
In 1964, the U.S. Postal Service honored the Mayo brothers by issuing a stamp in their honor. The stamp is green, a color traditionally associated with medicine, and features the staff of Aesculapius, the Greco-Roman god of medicine.
Mayo Clinic Flower of Hope™: Honoring Service to Humanity through the Beauty of Nature #ThrowbackThursday
At Mayo Clinic, we understand that enjoyment of nature can play a key role in the healing process. The Mayo brothers, Dr. Will and Dr. Charlie, grew up in the agricultural community of Rochester, Minnesota, and planned extensive gardens and greenhouses when they designed their homes in the early 1900s. Today, landscaping is a prominent feature at each Mayo Clinic location. To recognize the Mayo Clinic Sesquicentennial in 2014, we looked for a flower that would grow at each Mayo site: the Mayo Clinic Flower of Hope™
Like many families, the Mayos kept in touch during the holidays with relatives who lived in different places. In 1947 — when long-distance phone calls were a luxury and text messages were sent by Western Union telegrams — Mrs. Mayo used the technology of her day to stay connected. She made a phonograph recording and signed off, “with love to all from Mother Mayo.”
In 1972, Mayo Foundation received its largest single contribution: ten million dollars from Conrad Hilton, founder and chairman of Hilton Hotels Corporation. The money was used for a major laboratory building, named the Conrad N. Hilton Medical Laboratory and Research Center in Human Behavior. This was the first building in the Mayo complex designed specifically for laboratory medicine.
Mayo Clinic has taken the top spot on the Gartner Inc. annual Healthcare Supply Chain Top 25 ranking. The 2015 ranking recognizes companies across the health-care value chain that demonstrate leadership in improving patient care and lowering costs.
In today's issue, an article in The Wall Street Journal examined the Food and Drug Administration's proposed oversight of laboratory-developed tests. The clinical laboratories of Mayo Clinic were featured prominently as an example of laboratories that deliver high-quality and clinically sound testing. The balanced piece also featured interviews with FDA officials and other academic laboratory leaders. Read this post to access the full article and video.
While Mayo Clinic buildings now dominate Rochester’s skyline and irresistibly attracts an upward glance, not many remember when earlier Mayo building construction made an equally dramatic change in the local landscape.
Mayo Medical Laboratories’ Molecular Genetics Laboratory Receives National Institutes of Health Grant
Stephen Thibodeau Ph.D., a consultant in Mayo Medical Laboratories’ Molecular Genetics Laboratory, along with Iftikhar Kullo, M.D., has received a four-year grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), which will support research that incorporates DNA sequence information into electronic medical records.
In 1966, a past visitor of Mayowood, George B. Storey, recalled his time there in the publication Mayovox. From 1908 to 1913, Storey was farm manager for Dr. C. H. Mayo. View this post to read his story.
In 1971, the Mayo Clinic Routine Hematology Laboratory put into service a new instrument—the Coulter Model S—which automatically determined red and white cell counts, hemoglobin, hematocrit, mean cell volume, mean cell hemoglobin, and mean cell hemoglobin concentration.
On March 28, 1989, a formal dedication of the nature trail at Mayo Scottsdale was held with a special ceremony in which Dr. Richard Hill, chairman of the Mayo Scottsdale Board of Governors, unveiled the new trail directory and stone pedestal.
In 1984, the Board of Trustees approved plans for Mayo Clinic to begin development of new Mayo Clinic group practices at distant sites. Dr. W. Eugene Mayberry, chairman of the Board of Governors at the time, explained the thinking behind this decision and some of its implications.