The Plummer Building carillon was installed in 1928 as a gift from Mayo founders William J. Mayo, M.D., and Charles H. Mayo, M.D. Read this post to learn how the original melody, "Westminster Quarters," changed to the "Mayo Clinic Chimes."
In July 1967, the Mayo Clinic Gastroenterology Unit moved to an area on the second floor in Saint Mary’s Alfred Unit. The new location provided vastly enlarged and improved facilities. View this post to see photos of the area.
In March 1990, a large crowd turned out to celebrate the groundbreaking for the Phase II expansion project at Mayo Clinic Jacksonville and to enjoy sunny skies, free food, and musical entertainment.
Celebrate World Blood Donor Day on Tuesday, June 14, by donating this life-saving gift and thanking blood donors who already give to the Mayo Clinic Blood Donor Center. World Blood Donor Day is a day to raise awareness and recognize those who give back by donating blood. As blood cannot be manufactured in a laboratory, patients in need can only receive blood donated by others.
View this post to see two unique photographs from Saint Marys Hospital laboratories in 1914.
Franklin Station was built in 1928 in conjunction with the Plummer Building to provide heat, electricity, and tempered water for the Mayo and Kahler buildings. Methodist was added in 1975 as a partner. In 1980, the partners’ use of electricity had grown to where it exceeded the capacity of the plant. To meet these expectations, a $5 million building project at Franklin Heating Station was established to increase the reliability and extend the life of the plant.
Western Connecticut Health Network Selects Mayo Medical Laboratories for Its Advanced Laboratory Testing Needs
Western Connecticut Health Network (WCHN) has selected Mayo Medical Laboratories (MML) as its primary reference laboratory. The agreement provides WCHN physicians and staff with access to Mayo Clinic’s extensive menu of more than 3,000 laboratory tests in every subspecialty of medicine. Also, WCHN laboratory staff and practitioners will be able to speak directly with Mayo physicians and scientists to review patient test orders and collaboratively interpret results.
Mayo Clinic will be awarded $142 million in funding over five years by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to serve as the national Precision Medicine Initiative (PMI) Cohort Program biobank. Mayo Clinic and NIH will harness the resources of Mayo Medical Laboratories to accomplish the goals of the PMI Cohort Program biobank.
In 1970, a new exhibit at the Mayo Medical Museum was in the spotlight. The exhibit, “The Vital Process of Breathing,” was free standing so that a viewer’s minimal involvement was to walk around it. Light flowing through an outline drawing presented a simplified version of inhalation by which oxygen is supplied to the cells, and exhalation by which carbon dioxide, a product of metabolism, passes into the atmosphere.
May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month. Lyme Disease is a tick-borne illness that is found in certain areas of the United States. Take our interactive quiz to "Test Your Knowledge of Lyme Disease" and scroll to view the "ABCs of Lyme Disease" to learn more about the disease.
On Feb. 18, 2016, many Mayo Clinic employees participated in the formal ribbon-cutting to open the new Mayo Clinic Building in Phoenix, Arizona. The new building houses the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center and the Proton Beam Cancer Therapy Program. In addition to Mayo employees, a patient who had received proton beam therapy at another medical center, Dawn DeCook-Gibson, and her daughter, fourth and fifth from the left, also were part of the ribbon-cutting — a significant milestone for Mayo Clinic in the Southwest.
While seldom seen by most, the Mayo Clinic watchmen filled an important function in the protection and security of the Mayo Clinic in the 1950s. Little was known of the activities of these night-time guardians, yet through their vigilance and constant effort, Mayo had maintained an excellent record in such matters as the protection against thievery, looting, and the willful destruction of property.
Saint Marys Hospital opened in 1889 and, almost from the start, patient demand drove ongoing expansion. The first addition was dedicated in 1894. View this post to see a photo of the expansion dedication.