In 1970, Mayo Clinic introduced The Green Hornet. This battery-driven vehicle was used to transport films between X-ray Storage, Harwick Building, and X-ray Plateroom, Mayo Building. Kenneth Mork was motorman on the first day of operation. Subway pedestrians christened it The Green Hornet.
At the 2014 American Society of Cytopathology annual meeting held this past November, Shannon Brankley and Sarah Kerr, M.D., received abstract awards for their poster and platform presentations.
What was located at 3rd Street and 2nd Avenue before the Kahler Motel was built there 12 years ago? Even Clinic oldtimers weren’t sure. Read this post to find out.
Michael Henry, M.D., has been named president of the American Society of Cytopathology, the premier U.S. professional society for cytopathology.
December 7, 1941, “a date which will live in infamy,” Japanese forces attacked Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and drew the United States into a global conflict that had been escalating for several years. Pearl Harbor connects the stories of two Mayo Clinic nurses.
The Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists (ACLPS) has recognized Mayo Clinic’s Hemamalini Ketha, Ph.D., Mayo Clinic resident for Clinical Chemistry, sponsored by Alicia Algeciras-Schimnich, Ph.D., and Maria Willrich, Ph.D., Mayo Clinic resident for Clinical Biochemistry, sponsored by Nikola Baumann, Ph.D., as 2014 Young Investigator Award recipients.
In 1972, a Mayo Clinic technician carried out the 100,000th electrocardiogram performed in one single year. According to Wilbur Schumann, ECG Laboratory supervisor, 1972 was the first year in which the 100,000 mark had been exceeded.
In 1920, the Mayo brothers were approached to run for office. They respectfully declined, but encouraged citizens to vote and be active in the political process.
On September 11, 1972, a four-year undergraduate Mayo Medical School opened. Dr. Raymond D. Pruitt, director for education in the Division of Education and a leader in the new school’s development was the dean and chief executive officer. The school was the second four-year undergraduate medical institution in the state. At the time, there were 108 medical schools in the United States.
In February 1971, Mayo Clinic’s Routine Hematology Laboratory put into service a new instrument—the Coulter Model S—which automatically determines red and white cell counts, hemoglobin, hematocrit, mean cell volume, mean cell hemoglobin and mean cell hemoglobin concentration. The Model S was proved to be dependable, fast, and precise.
This year, the Art Studio looks back with a quiet pride on a full half-century of service to the Mayo Clinic and the medical profession in general. The Studio has 30,000 entries in the its ledger book, dating back to 1905.
On Oct. 13 1986, Mayo Clinic opened in Jacksonville, Florida. The opening was considered a leap of faith, as it was the clinic’s first expansion outside of Minnesota. Today, the Florida campus plays a key role in Mayo Clinic’s mission of serving humanity and advancing medical science.
Saint Marys campus celebrates 125 years after building the hospital to care for the medical needs of folks in Rochester, Minnesota, after the great cyclone of 1883.