In February 1971, Mayo Clinic's Routine Hematology Laboratory put into service a new instrument—the Coulter Model S—which automatically determines red and white cell counts, hemoglobin, hematocrit, mean cell volume, mean cell hemoglobin and mean cell hemoglobin concentration. The Model S was proved to be dependable, fast, and precise.
This year, the Art Studio looks back with a quiet pride on a full half-century of service to the Mayo Clinic and the medical profession in general. The Studio has 30,000 entries in the its ledger book, dating back to 1905.
On Oct. 13 1986, Mayo Clinic opened in Jacksonville, Florida. The opening was considered a leap of faith, as it was the clinic's first expansion outside of Minnesota. Today, the Florida campus plays a key role in Mayo Clinic’s mission of serving humanity and advancing medical science.
Saint Marys campus celebrates 125 years after building the hospital to care for the medical needs of folks in Rochester, Minnesota, after the great cyclone of 1883.
In 1921, Charles H. Mayo, M.D., and William J. Mayo, M.D, were commissioned as brigadier generals in the Medical Reserve Corps of the United States Army. The Mayo brothers combined global values and American patriotism.
Yaacov Agam created the tall, three-sided moving structure, "Welcome," specifically for Mayo Clinic. He created the piece “to make a work that would touch everybody who comes here, that would uplift them, whatever their age or race or culture.” The sculpture resides in the north side of the Mayo Building lobby.
In September 1889, Edith Graham became the first professionally educated nurse in Rochester. She taught the Sisters of St. Francis in the principles of nursing and began the Mayo tradition of excellence in nurse anesthesia education. Today, the Nurse Anesthesia Program is internationally recognized for excellence.
The Newborn Screening Translational Research Network (NBSTRN), a resource for investigators engaged in newborn screening related research, featured Mayo Clinic's Roshini Abraham, Ph.D. in its September "Spotlight Researcher of the Month."
St. Mary’s Hospital opened on Sept. 30, 1889, with 27 beds and, according to a newspaper report of the time, “every feature designed to make it pleasant and homelike for the sick.”
H. J. Harwick, former executive officer of the Board of Governors, chairman of Mayo Association, chief of Clinic Administration, wrote his recollections of significant people and events in the Mayo Clinic story, "Forty-four Years With the Mayo Clinic: 1908-1952."
Mayo Clinic recorded its first electrocardiogram (EKG) on Aug. 1, 1914. Use of the technology helped Mayo Clinic expand from a nearly exclusive focus on surgery to develop complementary priorities in diagnosis and nonoperative treatment for a wide range of conditions.
Seventy-five years after their deaths, Charles and William Mayo's statues still stand in a vastly transformed Rochester. The Mayo brothers' legacy has a significant impact on medicine and the foundation of one of the best medical centers in the nation.
To honor a century and a half of serving humanity, Mayo Clinic has compiled a list of 150 medical contributions. The list includes innovations such as developing the concept of an integrated, multispecialty, not-for-profit group practice of medicine, establishing the first hospital-based blood bank in the United States, developing the ketogenic diet to help control epilepsy, and performing the first Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved hip replacement in the United States.