Mayo Clinic Laboratory and Pathology Research Roundup: Sept. 11
The Research Roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Medical Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and complete list of published studies and reviews.
Autologous Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Applied in a Bioabsorbable Matrix, for Treatment of Perianal Fistulas in Patients with Crohn's Disease
In patients with Crohn's disease, perianal fistulas recur frequently, causing substantial morbidity. Mayo Clinic researchers performed a 12-patient, 6-month, phase 1 trial to determine whether autologous mesenchymal stem cells, applied in a bioabsorbable matrix, can heal the fistula. Fistula repair was not associated with any serious adverse events related to mesenchymal stem cells or plug placement. At 6 months, 10 of 12 patients (83%) had complete clinical healing and radiographic markers of response. The researchers found placement of mesenchymal stem cell-coated matrix fistula plugs in 12 patients with chronic perianal fistulas to be safe and led to clinical healing and radiographic response in 10 patients. The review was published in Gastroenterology.
Published to PubMed This Week
- United States and European Multicenter Prospective Study for the Analytical Performance and Clinical Validation of a Novel Sensitive Fully Automated Immunoassay for Calcitonin
- A Novel ELANE Mutation Associated with Inflammatory Arthritis, Defective NETosis, and Recurrent Parvoviral Infection
Arthritis & Rheumatology
- Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma
Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- Prognostic Implications of Abnormalities of Chromosome 13 and the Presence of Multiple Cytogenetic High-Risk Abnormalities in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma
Blood Cancer Journal
- Molecular Testing for the Clinical Diagnosis of Fibrolamellar Carcinoma
- The 2016 Revised World Health Organization Definition of 'Myelodysplastic Syndrome with Isolated del(5q)'; Prognostic Implications of Single Versus Double Cytogenetic Abnormalities
British Journal of Haematology
- CD49d Associates with Nodal Presentation and Subsequent Development of Lymphadenopathy in Patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia
British Journal of Haematology
- Accuracy of Capillary and Arterial Whole Blood Glucose Measurements Using a Glucose Meter in Patients under General Anesthesia in the Operating Room
- Targeted Next-Generation Sequencing in Myelodysplastic Syndromes and Prognostic Interaction Between Mutations and IPSS-R
American Journal of Hematology
- Percutaneous Closure of Sub-annular Rupture following Trans-catheter Aortic Valve Implantation
- Triheptanoin Versus Trioctanoin for Long-Chain Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders: A Double Blinded, Randomized Controlled Trial
Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease
- Cold Platelets for Trauma-Associated Bleeding: Regulatory Approval, Accreditation Approval, and Practice Implementation-Just the "Tip of the Iceberg"
- Patient and Cell Type-Specific Heterogeneity of Metformin Response
Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Relapsed Subcutaneous Panniculitis-Like T Cell Lymphoma: Role of Haploidentical Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
Annals of Hematology
- Identifying a Subset of Patients with DCIS Who Have a Low Likelihood of Residual Disease at Surgical Excision Following a Core Needle Biopsy
Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Treatment of Primary Membranous Nephropathy: Where Are We Now?
Journal of Nephrology
- Co-Occurrence of Steatocystoma Multiplex, Eruptive Vellus Hair Cysts, and Trichofolliculomas