Regional Health—Mayo Medical Laboratories Collaboration to Benefit Patients, Providers

Regional Health has selected Mayo Medical Laboratories (MML) as its primary reference laboratory. The agreement provides Regional Health Rapid City Hospital physicians and caregivers with access to Mayo Clinic’s extensive menu of more than 4,000 laboratory tests in every subspecialty of medicine. Also, Regional Health laboratory staff and practitioners throughout the system will be able to speak directly with Mayo physicians and scientists to review patient test orders and interpret results.

“With each hospital and laboratory we serve, we strive to provide the right test at the right time for each patient,” says William Morice, II, M.D., Ph.D., President of Mayo Medical Laboratories. “Working with Regional Health laboratory staff, we will be reviewing items such as test orders, test volumes, and new analytics technology. Together, we want to provide high-quality laboratory tests at an affordable price for our patients.”

Regional Health currently performs more than 1.75 million laboratory tests each year with exceptional turnaround times, and it will continue to perform approximately 98% of testing in-house. Mayo Medical Laboratories will work closely with Regional Health to expand the test menu and provide consultative and support services for the remaining 2%.

“Regional Health chose Mayo Medical Laboratories as its primary reference laboratory because of Mayo Clinic’s commitment to excellence, professionalism and forward-thinking,” says Michelle Barthel, Senior Director of Laboratory Services at Regional Health. “Approximately 70% of all medical decisions are based on laboratory results, so providing the fastest, most accurate results to patients and caregivers is critical. As laboratorians, our mission is to enable the best possible medical care, and this new relationship with Mayo Clinic strengthens that mission.”

About Regional Health

Regional Health is an integrated health care system with the purpose of helping patients and communities live well. The organization, with headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota, provides community-based health care in more than 20 communities in two states and 32 specialty areas of medicine. As the largest private employer in western South Dakota, Regional Health is comprised of five hospitals, 25 clinic locations and employs nearly 5,000 physicians and caregivers. Regional Health is committed to the future of medicine, with medical training partnerships, a medical residency program and more than 130 active research studies. For more information, visit regionalhealth.org.

gmchiri

Gina Chiri-Osmond

Gina Chiri-Osmond is a Marketing Channel Manager at Mayo Medical Laboratories. She manages public relations and media outreach. Gina has worked at Mayo Clinic since 2011. Outside of work, Gina is going for gold in volleyball at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo . . . or at small-town summer festivals.