Psychotropic PGx Panel for Drug Treatment Optimization [A Test in Focus]
This panel provides a comprehensive analysis for multiple genes that have strong pharmacogenomic associations with medications used in the treatment of psychiatric disorders, including depression. Each sample is tested for specific variations with known functional impact.
Based on the results of each assay, a genotype is assigned and a phenotype is predicted for each gene. Assessment of multiple genes may assist the ordering clinician with personalized drug recommendations, avoidance of adverse drug reactions, and optimization of drug treatment.
Ann Moyer, M.D., Ph.D., gives an overview of this new test available through Mayo Clinic Laboratories. She discusses when this testing should be ordered, how this testing improves upon other testing approaches, and what clinical action can be taken due to the results of this testing.
- Psychotropic Pharmacogenomics Gene Panel, Varies (Mayo ID: PSYQP)
When to Order
- Individualizing selection and dosage of medications prescribed for treatment of depression and other psychiatric disorders based on genetic variation.
- Identifying genetic variation in genes known to be associated with response and/or risk of toxicity with psychotropic medications.
- Evaluating patients who have failed therapy with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
- Evaluating patients with treatment-resistant depression.
- Predicting response time to improvement with SSRIs.
Submit only 1 of the following specimens:
Specimen Type: Whole blood
- Container/Tube: Lavender top (EDTA)
- Specimen Volume: 3 mL
- Collection Instructions:
- Invert several times to mix blood.
- Send specimen in original tube.
- Specimen Stability Information: Ambient (preferred) 9 days/Refrigerated 30 days
Specimen Type: Saliva
- Patient Preparation: Patient should not eat, drink, smoke, or chew gum 30 minutes prior to collection.
- Supplies: Saliva Swab Collection Kit (T786)
- Specimen Volume: 1 Swab
- Collection Instructions: Collect and send specimen per kit instructions.
- Additional Information: Due to lower concentration of DNA yielded from saliva, testing cannot proceed to reflex testing for CYP2D6 sequencing and will stop after initial testing is complete.
- Specimen Stability Information: Ambient 30 days
Specimen Type: DNA
- Container/Tube: 2 mL screw top tube
- Specimen Volume: 100 mcL (microliters)
- Collection Instructions:
- The preferred volume is 100 mcL at a concentration of 50 ng/mcL.
- Include concentration and volume on tube.
- Specimen Stability Information: Frozen (preferred) 1 year/Ambient/Refrigerated
Day(s) and Time(s) Test Performed
Monday through Thursday
3 to 14 days