Mayo Clinic Laboratory and Pathology Research Roundup: December 9
The research roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Clinic Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and a complete list of published studies and reviews.
The Evaluation of Monoclonal Gammopathy of Renal Significance: A Consensus Report of the International Kidney and Monoclonal Gammopathy Research Group.
The term monoclonal gammopathy of renal significance (MGRS) was introduced by the International Kidney and Monoclonal Gammopathy Research Group (IKMG) in 2012. The IKMG met in April 2017 to refine the definition of MGRS and to update the diagnostic criteria for MGRS-related diseases. Accordingly, in this Expert Consensus Document, the IKMG redefines MGRS as a clonal proliferative disorder that produces a nephrotoxic monoclonal immunoglobulin and does not meet previously defined haematological criteria for treatment of a specific malignancy. The diagnosis of MGRS-related disease is established by kidney biopsy and immunofluorescence studies to identify the monotypic immunoglobulin deposits (although these deposits are minimal in patients with either C3 glomerulopathy or thrombotic microangiopathy). Accordingly, the IKMG recommends a kidney biopsy in patients suspected of having MGRS to maximize the chance of correct diagnosis. Serum and urine protein electrophoresis and immunofixation, as well as analyses of serum free light chains, should also be performed to identify the monoclonal immunoglobulin, which helps to establish the diagnosis of MGRS and might also be useful for assessing responses to treatment. Finally, bone marrow aspiration and biopsy should be conducted to identify the lymphoproliferative clone. Flow cytometry can be helpful in identifying small clones. Additional genetic tests and fluorescent in situ hybridization studies are helpful for clonal identification and for generating treatment recommendations. Treatment of MGRS was not addressed at the 2017 IKMG meeting; consequently, this Expert Consensus Document does not include any recommendations for the treatment of patients with MGRS. Via Nature Reviews: Nephrology.
Published to PubMed This Week
- Tau-Positron Emission Tomography Correlates with Neuropathology Findings.
Alzheimers and Dementia
- Defining a New Immune Deficiency Syndrome: MAN2B2-CDG.
Journal of Allergy Clinical Immunology
- Randomized Placebo Controlled Trial of IVIG in Autoimmune LGI1/CASPR2 Epilepsy.
Annals of Neurology
- Revisiting Complete Response in Light Chain Amyloidosis.
- IgM AL Amyloidosis: Delineating Disease Biology and Outcomes with Clinical, Genomic and Bone Marrow Morphological Features.
- CELLTOP Clinical Trial: First Report From a Phase 1 Trial of Autologous Adipose Tissue-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells in the Treatment of Paralysis Due to Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury.
Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- Addition of Venetoclax at Time of Progression in Ibrutinib-Treated Patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: Combination Therapy to Prevent Ibrutinib Flare.
American Journal of Hematology
- Role of Lymphadenectomy in Endometrial Cancer with Nonbulky Lymph Node Metastasis: Comparison of Comprehensive Surgical Staging and Sentinel Lymph Node Algorithm.
Gynecology and Oncology
- Combining Copy Number, Methylation Markers, and Mutations as A Panel for Endometrial Cancer Detection via Intravaginal Tampon Collection.
Gynecology and Oncology
- Phase 1 Trial of Vismodegib and Erlotinib Combination in Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer.
- Significance of Peripheral Eosinophilia for Diagnosis of IgG4-Related Disease in Subjects with Elevated Serum IgG4 Levels.
- Update on Lymphoproliferative Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract: Disease Spectrum from Indolent Lymphoproliferations to Aggressive Lymphomas.
- The Clinico-Pathological Spectrum of Primary Cutaneous Lymphoma Other Than Mycosis Fungoides/Sezary Syndrome.
- Calcification and Ossification in Conventional Schwannoma: A Clinicopathologic Study of 32 Cases.
- Prevalence and Spectrum of T-Cell Lymphoproliferative Disorders in Patients with Hypereosinophilia: A Reference Laboratory Experience.
Annals of Diagnostic Pathology
- The Role of Regional Anesthesia in the Propagation of Cancer: A Comprehensive Review.
Best Practices of Research in Clinical Anesthesiology