The research roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Clinic Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and a complete list of published studies and reviews.
Light Chain Amyloidosis Induced Inflammatory Changes in Cardiomyocytes and Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells.
Light chain (AL) amyloidosis is a progressive, degenerative disease characterized by the misfolding and amyloid deposition of immunoglobulin light chain (LC). The amyloid deposits lead to organ failure and death. Our laboratory is specifically interested in cardiac involvement of AL amyloidosis. We have previously shown that the fibrillar aggregates of LC proteins can be cytotoxic and arrest the growth of human RFP-AC16 cardiomyocytes in vitro. We showed that adipose-derived mesenchymal stromal cells (AMSC) can rescue the cardiomyocytes from the fibril-induced growth arrest through contact-dependent mechanisms. In this study, we examined the transcriptome changes of human cardiomyocytes and AMSC in the presence of AL amyloid fibrils. The presence of fibrils causes a 'priming' immune response in AMSC associated with interferon associated genes. Exposure to AL fibrils induced changes in the pathways associated with immune response and extracellular matrix components in cardiomyocytes. We also observed upregulation of innate immune-associated transcripts (chemokines, cytokines, and complement), suggesting that amyloid fibrils initiate an innate immune response on these cells, possibly due to phenotypic transformation. This study corroborates and expands our previous studies and identifies potential new immunologic mechanisms of action for fibril toxicity on human cardiomyocytes and AMSC rescue effect on cardiomyocytes. Via Leukemia.
Published to PubMed This Week
- Clinical Massively Parallel Sequencing.
- Phenotypic Presentations of Paraneoplastic Neuropathies Associated with MAP1B-IgG.
Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry
- Merkel Cell Carcinoma.
Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- Clinical and Biochemical Phenotypes in a Family with ENPP1 Mutations.
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
- Impact of MYD88 L265P Mutation Status on Histological Transformation of Waldenström Macroglobulinemia.
American Journal of Hematology
- Brain Metastases from Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with EGFR or ALK Mutations: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Multidisciplinary Approaches.
Radiotherapy and Oncology
- Antimicrobial Susceptibility Profiles of Nocardia Species: Retrospective Analysis from a Tertiary Hospital and Reference Laboratory, 2011-2017.
Antimicrobial Agents in Chemotherapy
- Monozygotic Twins Discordant for Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia due to Mosaicism.
European Journal of Endocrinology
- NAPDH Oxidase-Specific Flow Cytometry Allows for Rapid Genetic Triage and Classification of Novel Variants in Chronic Granulomatous Disease.
Journal of Clinical Immunology
- Assessment of Complement Interference in Anti-Müllerian Hormone Immunoassays.
Clinical Chemistry of Laboratory Medicine
- The Clinical Value of The Albumin Quotient in Patients with Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder.
Multiple Sclerosis Related Disorders
- Sequencing Ipilimumab Immunotherapy Before or After Chemotherapy (Nab-Paclitaxel and Bevacizumab) for the Treatment of BRAFwt (BRAF Wild-Type) Metastatic Malignant Melanoma: Results of a Study of Academic and Community Cancer Research United (ACCRU) RU261206I.
American Journal of Clinical Oncology
- The Challenge that Chlorine Presented during the Development of a Benzodiazepine Assay.
- Characterization of A Cryptic PML-RARA Fusion by Mate-Pair Sequencing in A Case of Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia with A Normal Karyotype and Negative RARA FISH Studies.
- Sonographer-Acquired Ultrasound Protocol for Deep Endometriosis.
- Pretreatment Hemoglobin Adds Prognostic Information To The NCCN-IPI In Patients With Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma Treated With Anthracycline-Containing Chemotherapy.