Mayo Clinic Laboratory and Pathology Research Roundup: April 27
The research roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Clinic Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and a complete list of published studies and reviews.
Theranostic OCT microneedle for fast ultrahigh-resolution deep-brain imaging and efficient laser ablation in vivo.
Current minimally invasive optical techniques for in vivo deep-brain imaging provide a limited resolution, field of view, and speed. These limitations prohibit direct assessment of detailed histomorphology of various deep-seated brain diseases at their native state and therefore hinder the potential clinical utilities of those techniques. Here, we report an ultracompact (580 μm in outer diameter) theranostic deep-brain microneedle combining 800-nm optical coherence tomography imaging with laser ablation. Its performance was demonstrated by in vivo ultrahigh-resolution (1.7 μm axial and 5.7 μm transverse), high-speed (20 frames per second) volumetric imaging of mouse brain microstructures and optical attenuation coefficients. Its translational potential was further demonstrated by in vivo cancer visualization (with an imaging depth of 1.23 mm) and efficient tissue ablation (with a 1448-nm continuous-wave laser at a 350-mW power) in a deep mouse brain (with an ablation depth of about 600 μm). Via Science Advances.
Published to PubMed This Week
- m.3243A > G-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction Impairs Human Neuronal Development and Reduces Neuronal Network Activity and Synchronicity.
- cIMPACT-NOW Update 6: New Entity and Diagnostic Principle Recommendations of the cIMPACT-Utrecht Meeting on Future CNS Tumor Classification and Grading.
- Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography Predicts Bone Marrow Involvement in the Staging of Follicular Lymphoma.
- Species Identification and Antibiotic Resistance Prediction by Analysis of Whole Genome Sequence Data Using ARESdb - An Analysis of Isolates from the Unyvero Lower Respiratory Tract Infection Trial.
Journal of Clinical Microbiology
- Resurrecting the Hospital Autopsy: Impact of an Office of Decedent Affairs on Consent Rates, Providers, and Next-of-Kin.
Archives of Pathology Laboratory Medicine
- DNAJB1-PRKACA-Positive Metastatic Fibrolamellar Carcinoma with Unknown Primary in a Pediatric Patient.
Pediatric Blood Cancer
- Treatment of Generalized Infantile Myofibromatosis with Sorafenib and Imatinib: A Case Report.
Pediatric Blood Cancer
- Evaluation of Plasma ACTH Stability using the Roche Elecsys Immunoassay.
- Primary Papillary Epithelial Tumour of the Sella: Expanding the Spectrum of Ttf-1 Positive Sellar Lesions.
Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology
- Computer-Assisted Navigation in Complex Cervical Spine Surgery: Tips and Tricks.
Journal of Spine Surgery