Mayo Clinic Laboratory and Pathology Research Roundup: May 18
The research roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Clinic Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and a complete list of published studies and reviews.
Sustained perfusion of revascularized bioengineered livers heterotopically transplanted into immunosuppressed pigs.
Implanted bioengineered livers have not exceeded three days of continuous perfusion. Here we show that decellularized whole porcine livers revascularized with human umbilical vein endothelial cells and implanted heterotopically into immunosuppressed pigs whose spleens had been removed can sustain perfusion for up to 15 days. We identified peak glucose consumption rate as a main predictor of the patency of the revascularized bioengineered livers (rBELs). Heterotopic implantation of rBELs into pigs in the absence of anticoagulation therapy led to sustained perfusion for three days, followed by a pronounced immune responses directed against the human endothelial cells. A 10 day steroid-based immunosuppression protocol and a splenectomy at the time of rBEL implantation reduced the immune responses and resulted in continuous perfusion of the rBELs for over two weeks. We also show that the human endothelial cells in the perfused rBELs colonize the liver sinusoids and express sinusoidal endothelial markers similar to those in normal liver tissue. Revascularized liver scaffolds that can maintain blood perfusion at physiological pressures might eventually help to overcome the chronic shortage of transplantable human livers. Via National Biomedical Engineering.
Published to PubMed This Week
- Adult Diffuse Glioma GWAS by Molecular Subtype Identifies Variants in D2HGDH and FAM20C.
- Validation of Serum Neurofilaments as Prognostic and Potential Pharmacodynamic Biomarkers for ALS.
- Venetoclax for the Treatment of Translocation (11;14) AL Amyloidosis.
Blood Cancer Journal
- The Role of Bone Marrow Biopsy in Patients with Plasma Cell Disorders: Should all Patients with a Monoclonal Protein be Biopsied?
Blood Cancer Journal
- Letter: A Retrospective Comparative Analysis of Titanium Mesh and Custom Implants for Cranioplasty.
- Integrating Convolutional Neural Networks and Multi-Task Dictionary Learning for Cognitive Decline Prediction with Longitudinal Images.
Journal of Alzheimers Disease
- An Integrative Histopathologic Clustering Model Based on Immuno-Matrix Elements to Predict the Risk of Death in Malignant Mesothelioma.
- Overcoming the Blood Brain Barrier to Target Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma: What's New?
- Prediction of the Functional Impact of Missense Variants in BRCA1 and BRCA2 with BRCA-ML.
NPJ Breast Cancer
- Safety and Activity of Varlilumab, a Novel and First-in-Class Agonist Anti-CD27 Antibody, for Hematologic Malignancies.