Mayo Clinic Laboratory and Pathology Research Roundup: June 8
The research roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Clinic Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and a complete list of published studies and reviews.
Diagnosis and management of headaches in those > 65 years are discussed. Migraine and tension-type headaches are rarely new onset in this age group and should be a diagnosis of exclusion. In older individuals, migraine is more likely to be bilateral with less sensory sensitivities. Migraine aura may present without headache; careful assessment is needed to exclude stroke. Other primary headaches discussed include cough, hypnic, and other headaches. Secondary causes discussed include giant cell arteritis, trigeminal post-herpetic neuropathy, sleep apnea, cardiac cephalgia, cervicogenic pain, vascular etiologies, medications, and burning-mouth syndrome. In older individuals, primary headaches are diagnoses of exclusion, and treatment is affected by comorbidities and polypharmacy. Secondary headaches are a major consideration requiring appropriate workup. Many treatments can safely be offered regardless of age. Via Current Pain and Headache Reports.
Published to PubMed This Week
- Impact of Minimal Residual Negativity Using Next Generation Flow Cytometry on Outcomes in Light Chain Amyloidosis.
American Journal of Hematology
- Evaluation of Saline, Phosphate-Buffered Saline, and Minimum Essential Medium as Potential Alternatives to Viral Transport Media for SARS-CoV-2 Testing.
Journal of Clinical Microbiology
- Update on Lymphoproliferative Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract: Disease Spectrum from Indolent Lymphoproliferations to Aggressive Lymphomas.
- The Clinico-Pathological Spectrum of Primary Cutaneous Lymphoma other than Mycosis Fungoides/Sezary Syndrome.
- The Broad and Challenging Landscape of Extranodal Lymphoproliferations.
- Lymphomas Arising in Immune-Privileged Sites: Insights into Biology, Diagnosis, and Pathogenesis.
- Mob Justice in South Africa: A Comparison of Blunt Trauma Secondary to Community and Non-Community Assaults.
- Twin-to-Twin Transmission of Transient Abnormal Myelopoiesis without Constitutional Trisomy 21: A Case Report.
- The Effect of Urinary Diversion on Long-Term Kidney Function After Cystectomy.
Urology and Oncology
- Penile Cancer with Visceral Metastasis and p16/human Papillomavirus Positivity: An Unusual Case of Long-Term Survival.
Urology Case Reports