Mayo Clinic Laboratory and Pathology Research Roundup: June 22
The research roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Clinic Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and a complete list of published studies and reviews.
Convalescent plasma is the only antibody-based therapy currently available for patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). It has robust historical precedence and sound biological plausibility. Although promising, convalescent plasma has not yet been shown to be safe as a treatment for COVID-19.METHODSThus, we analyzed key safety metrics after transfusion of ABO-compatible human COVID-19 convalescent plasma in 5000 hospitalized adults with severe or life-threatening COVID-19, with 66% in the intensive care unit, as part of the US FDA expanded access program for COVID-19 convalescent plasma. Via The Journal of Clinical Investigation.
Published to PubMed This Week
- Myocardial Injury in Severe COVID-19 Infection.
European Heart Journal
- Clinical Reasoning: Multifocal Neuropathies in a Patient with Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia and Prior Borreliosis.
- Neoadjuvant Immunotherapy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Current Concepts and Future Approaches.
Journal of Thoracic Oncology
- Semaphorin 3B-Associated Membranous Nephropathy is a Distinct Type of Disease Predominantly Present in Pediatric Patients.
- ST-segment Elevation, Myocardial Injury, and Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 Patients: Diagnostic and Treatment Uncertainties.
Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- An International Phase 2 Study of Pazopanib in Progressive and Metastatic Thyroglobulin Antibody Negative Radioactive Iodine Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer.
- Acute Symptomatic Seizures Secondary to Autoimmune Encephalitis and Autoimmune-Associated Epilepsy: Conceptual Definitions.
- Laboratory Monitoring of Patients with Hereditary Tyrosinemia Type I.
Molecular Genetics and Metabolism
- Potential Differences Between Monolingual and Bilingual Patients in Approach and Outcome After Awake Brain Surgery.
Journal of Neurooncology
- Double Seropositivity for AChR and MuSK Autoantibodies in Myasthenia Gravis.
- Concordance Between Predicted HLA Type Using Next Generation Sequencing Data Generated for Non-HLA Purposes and Clinical HLA Type.
- Pancreatic Endocrine Heterotopia Involving Meckel's Diverticulum: A Potential Mimic of Neuroendocrine Tumor.
International Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Treatment Effectiveness and Medication Use Reduction for Older Adults in Interdisciplinary Pain Rehabilitation.
Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- Improved Recognition of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D2 by 2 Automated Immunoassays.
Journal of Applied Laboratory Medicine
- A Review of Cardiac Complications in Coronavirus Disease 2019.