Mayo Clinic laboratory and pathology research roundup: December 21
The research roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Clinic Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and a complete list of published studies and reviews.
A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Local Salvage Therapies After Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer
A total of 150 studies were included for analysis. There was significant heterogeneity between studies within each modality, and covariates differed between modalities, necessitating adjustment. Adjusted 5-yr RFS ranged from 50% after cryotherapy to 60% after HDR brachytherapy and SBRT, with no significant differences between any modality and RP. Severe GU toxicity was significantly lower with all three forms of radiotherapeutic salvage than with RP (adjusted rates of 20% after RP vs 5.6%, 9.6%, and 9.1% after SBRT, HDR brachytherapy, and LDR brachytherapy, respectively; p ≤ 0.001 for all). Severe GI toxicity was significantly lower with HDR salvage than with RP (adjusted rates 1.8% vs 0.0%, p < 0.01), with no other differences identified. Via European Neurology
Published to PubMed This Week
- Breast Cancer Polygenic Risk Score and Contralateral Breast Cancer Risk.
American Journal of Human Genetics
- Sensitivity-Specificity of Tau and Amyloid β Positron Emission Tomography in Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration.
Annals of Neurology
- The Impact of Surgical Strategy and Rifampin on Treatment Outcome in Cutibacterium Periprosthetic Joint Infections.
Clinical Infectious Disease
- Anticoagulation in COVID-19: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Rapid Guidance From Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- The Complement C3-C3aR Pathway Mediates Microglia-Astrocyte Interaction Following Status Epilepticus.
- Reply to On the Proportion of Male Breast Cancer Among all Breast Cancers.
- A Bodybuilder with Dyspnea and Hypercalcemia.
American Journal of Medicine
- Impact of Sirolimus as a Primary Immunosuppressant on Myocardial Fibrosis and Diastolic Function Following Heart Transplantation.
Journal of the American Heart Association
- Whole-Exome Sequencing of Non-BRCA1/BRCA2 Mutation Carrier Cases at High-risk for Hereditary Breast/Ovarian Cancer.
- Chronic Histologic Changes Are Present Regardless of HLA Mismatches: Evidence from HLA Identical Living Donor Kidney Transplants.