Mayo Clinic laboratory and pathology research roundup: March 23
The research roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Clinic Laboratories consultants, including featured abstracts and a complete list of published studies and reviews.
Impact of the COVID-19 vaccine on asymptomatic infection among patients undergoing pre-procedural COVID-19 molecular screening.
We conducted a retrospective cohort study of consecutive, asymptomatic adult patients (n = 39,156) within a large United States healthcare system who underwent 48,333 pre-procedural SARS-CoV-2 molecular screening tests between December 17, 2020 and February 8, 2021. The primary exposure of interest was vaccination with at least one dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine. The primary outcome was relative risk of a positive SARS-CoV-2 molecular test among those asymptomatic persons who had received at least one dose of vaccine, as compared to persons who had not received vaccine during the same time period. Relative risk was adjusted for age, sex, race/ethnicity, patient residence relative to the hospital (local vs. non-local), healthcare system regions, and repeated screenings among patients using mixed effects log-binomial regression. Via Clinical Infectious Disease.
Published to PubMed This Week
- TAK-101 nanoparticles induce gluten-specific tolerance in celiac disease: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
- Chemical characterization and quantification of circulating intact PTH and PTH fragments by high-resolution mass spectrometry in chronic renal failure.
- Activity of lysin CF-296 alone and in addition to daptomycin in a rat model of experimental methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus osteomyelitis.
Antimicrobial Agents in Chemotherapy
- Theragnostic chromosomal rearrangements in treatment-naive pancreatic ductal adenocarcinomas obtained via endoscopic ultrasound.
Journal of Cellular Molecular Medicine
- Plasma IL-6 levels following corticosteroid therapy as an indicator of ICU length of stay in critically ill COVID-19 patients.
Cell Death and Discovery
- An algorithm for pairing interventionalists and surgeons for the TAVR procedure.
Journal of Medical Systems
- Senior authorship in academic radiology journals: Roles, responsibilities, and rewards.
Academics in Radiology
- The third eye sees double: Cohort study of clinical presentation, histology, surgical approaches, and ophthalmic outcomes in pineal region germ cell tumors.